Read on for the latest news in real estate in Wayne, Nebraska and the surrounding communities as well as useful tips for buying and selling your home. Bonus features include a look into the good, the bad, and the ugly of homeownership as shared by blog author, homeowner, property manager, and real estate broker, Trisha Peters.
Welcome Home.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sentimental Value

Well, I officially SOLD the first home that I ever had the privilege of owning today.  It was a bittersweet moment as I handed over the keys to my big brother so he and his future wife and her little boy can start their new life together there.  The reality didn't really sink in until this past Sunday as my husband and I were moving the last of my things.  We were standing in the kitchen and he gave me a big hug and said, "I know how much you love this house.  I love this house."  It hadn't even dawned on me that so much sentiment could be contained in one little house.  There is much more to it than just the financial value.  We reminisced about our first date, the first kiss on the front porch, and the time I used gasoline to start the charcoal briquets on the grill and nearly burned the whole house down.  We had a good laugh about our friend that stumbled in the bathroom and put his head through the wall (that one tested my drywall skills) as well as the time my neighbors blackened my mailbox post with a fireworks display and then blamed it on somebody else.  We also talked about all of our little home "improvement" projects that tested our relationship from the very beginning and my housewarming party that took place over 6 1/2 years ago (long before I even knew Tim).  That house provided warmth, comfort, shelter, and oh so many wonderful memories.  As the saying goes, "if only those walls could talk..."  It was more than just a house, it was a home. 

I haven't had much time in the last two months to reflect on all of the good things that came out of that house.  All I can say is that it is in good hands.  It is time for someone else to make that house their home.  My only hope is that my brother and his family get as much enjoyment out of it and create as many memories as I am taking with me.  And, I look forward to being a part of the memories they make there.  Congratulations Tom, Sandra, and Anthony!  Welcome Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment